Educational Objectives of the POMPONIST Way of Oil Painting
Creating three dimensional forms across different spaces, directing and composing light, creating translucencies, combining light, shade, and graded contrasts of different colours, creating harmonious compositions employing linear structures and various light sources.
In order to achieve this we make use of different realist sample artworks depending on the intended level of sophistication. Starting with paintings by the old masters or contemporary artists we work on specially selected and developed subjects.
The Pomponist Way of Painting
… was developed by Herdin Radtke and is based on the original formula for three dimensional paintings Tribus Omina. 40 years experience with painting in oils, innumerable workshops with hundreds of students laid the foundation stone for this singular technique. It is copyrighted through two excellent unsurpassable books.
When you want to paint a 3-dimensional apple you start with a sketch. Divide the shape of the apple into six strips. We call them the areas of light. Next you fill the strips with colour. The different areas give you the contrasting tones. You now join the areas creating a smooth gradient between them by breaking the hard lines with a flat brush by criss-crossing over them. After that you bring in the light …
Based on cleverly devised examples you will learn simple, methodical ways to handle oil colours to a high standard. This is the key to the use of light, shade and translucency. Creating contrasts of light and dark allows you to become a „conductor of light“ so that your works come to life through radiance and vitality. This applies to realistic representations as well as abstracts.
Even as a beginner you will soon be able to create lively images through the skilful use of light, shade and translucency. You will receive comprehensive information and educational material on how to handle compositions and the tools of the art. Great emphasis is laid on the application and control of light. That is the key to 3-dimensional painting. To Herdin Radtke every painter is a conductor of light. His workshops and classes will equip you with the necessary instruments.
What characterizes the POMPONIST Way of Oil Painting?
The health aspect: Under the heading „A Guide to Success“ the teaching process aims at stress relief, regaining personal balance, increasing self esteem, happiness through the experience of success, sustainability of the painting techniques thanks to the „anchor effect“ and meditation converted into a visible result through your own creative processes. It also creates positive feelings in the recognition of your personal achievements.
Pleasant by-product: what´s new about contemporary oil painting is the fact that it befits our modern way of life (it´s health conscious and environmentally friendly)
- you can paint in the smallest rooms as there is no unpleasant odour neither while you are painting nor while your work is drying.
- we do not use any organic solvents (turps, white spirit etc.) to dilute the paint or clean the brushes.
- in order to clean your brushes you use a cloth and pull the brush through between your thumb and digit finger. This avoids paint splatter in your room (unlike other painting techniques where you have to remove the cleaning agent from the brush by tapping it)
- the unique teaching method lets you paint properly with the first bush stroke.
- you are no longer under time pressure whilst painting.
- oil paint remains workable for hours. You can leave it to have a cup of coffee or a meal and return to it invigorated.
- employing the special medium shortens the drying time to one or two days depending on the thickness of the layers of paint.